VA Boston Healthcare System
General Internal Medicine
General internists provide medical care to adults for a wide range of conditions, including both acute and chronic illnesses, from headaches and the common cold to hypertension, diabetes, depression and heart disease.
General internal medicine includes both inpatient and outpatient clinical care:
- General internists who provide care to hospitalized patients are sometimes called “hospitalists.”
- General internists who deliver care in the outpatient clinics are called primary care physicians.
The Section of General Internal Medicine at VA Boston is renowned for its excellent care and patient education. In addition, our physicians conduct research on a variety of subjects of interest to Veterans, with the main goal of improving the health care and health outcomes of Veterans.
Research and Education:
To pursue its research missions, the Section of General Internal Medicine staff partner with researchers at VA Boston, at other VA facilities across the country, and at various academic institutions, such as Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Boston Medical Center. Some of the Sections’ current research investigations include:
• Enhancing the computerized medical record to guide physicians’ decision-making.
• Evaluating the barriers to adopting electronic health records among community-based physicians.
• Improving the use of laboratory tests to monitor medication use in primary care.
We have a long and distinguished history in the training of fellows, residents, and medical students from our affiliated academic institutions. Outpatient and inpatient settings provide wonderful learning opportunities for these trainees, many of whom participate not only in clinical activities but also in research projects. VA Boston is a core member of the Harvard General Internal Medicine Fellowship and Faculty Development Program**, one of longest running programs of its kind in the country.
Our research office is located on the Jamaica Plain campus:
150 South Huntington Ave.
4th Floor, Suite 425
Boston, MA 02130
Bldg. 9, 4th Flr., Suite 425
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday