VA Boston Healthcare System
Hematology and Oncology, often referred to as Heme/Onc, diagnose and treat cancers and blood-related disorders. At VA Boston Healthcare System (VA BHS), these specialty sections work closely together and share a treatment area. We have an extensive program of patient care, education, and research with a staff of physicians, hematology/oncology fellows, and oncology nurse clinicians.
Designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Treatment Center, patient referrals come from primary care providers at VA BHS as well as the many other VAs in the region. On average, about 290 patients per month receive treatment; most are treated in an outpatient setting.
A primary care physician must refer a patient to Hematology/Oncology. A Hematology or Oncology specialist will then manage the veteran’s care, often with the assistance of a heme/onc fellow.
Outpatient clinics at the Jamaica Plain campus are available for consults and treatments. Our Brockton campus maintains an outpatient clinic for long-term heme/onc care.
Should you have any questions or concerns about Hematology or Oncology services, please call 1-800-865-3384 ext. 44392 (Direct line: 857-364-4392).
Making hospice available to terminal patients is a priority. As a result, the nursing staff and house staff are knowledgeable in obtaining hospice services for patients needing them. Learn more.
Clinical and basic science research projects are being performed by several members of the section:
• Dr. Daniel Jacobson, chief of oncology, leads a laboratory research program with interests in amyloidosis and in the cell biology of lymphoma.
• Drs. Mary Brophy, Louis Fiore, Gary Gilbert, and Kenneth Bauer conduct clinical and research studies in the area of blood coagulation.
• Drs. Fiore and Brophy lead the Massachusetts Veterans Epidemiology Research and Information Center (MAVERIC).
• Dr. Nikhil Munshi maintains a clinical and research program in multiple myeloma.
• Dr. Jacobson also heads the section’s oncology clinical trials program, in which Drs. Valia Boosalis and Carlos Vera also actively participate as principal investigators of clinical studies in prostate cancer, lung cancer, and colorectal cancer.
- Jamaica Plain and Brockton
- 800-865-3384 Ext. 44392
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8 am - 4 pm